Sandy's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Shirley Marr

May 03, 12

bookshelves: can-t-stop-thinking-about, i-love-you-but-i-hate-you-endings
Read in March, 2012

So haunting and bitingly funny while breaking my heart at the same time.

I love when an author can take a character I should loathe--a character that, on the surface, appears absolutely despicable--and make me want to give that character a big hug by the end.

Marr's writing shines with Eliza's voice--that self-awareness ('cause I'm pretty sure Eliza knows she's sounding like a brat), that biting humor, that absolute loyalty to her friends. And when all is revealed, I felt such sympathy and even something else (admiration?) for Eliza and her fury.

Fury is one of those stories where you have no idea what's going on with the opening few chapters, and as Eliza haltingly reveals her tale to anthropologist Brian Fadden (I LOVE THIS CHARACTER), I became completely engrossed. I actually LIKED the confusion of the first hundred pages or so as I tried to figure out how all these little high school recollections fit into why Eliza is in a holding cell for murder.

Fury is a dark tale, a tale that will resonate with the piercingly honest voice of a girl who committed the unthinkable in her fury.

Just a warning: this ending is WIDE OPEN, which is a bit frustrating, but I won't be forgetting these characters any time soon.

Shirely Marr, I knew I was going to love you as soon as I read that author description..."accountant by day and a masked author by night." Yes, accountants like books, too.

Thanks to Wendy at The Midnight Garden for touring this Aussie gem.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Hey Sandy, a quick heads up that I have a copy of this touring in 2012. :) If you're interested in signing up, there are details on my review/blog!

Gabrielle Carolina I want in on that tour!

message 3: by Sandy (last edited May 03, 2012 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandy Talk to Wendy! I love Aussie fiction. Do they have higher publishing standards there or something?

Gabrielle Carolina Sandy wrote: "Talk to Wendy! I love Aussie fiction. Do they have higher publishing standards there or something?"

I know, right? Always a instant-add for me.