Landon's Reviews > Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box

Sep 17, 2013

it was ok
Read from May 16, 2011 to September 16, 2013

Second Review- September 16, 2013
For the second time I've taken a class that requires this book. I did enjoy it a little more the second time through, though that could be because I read the first half or so engaged, and then more or less skimmed the second half- and one of my chief complaints the first time is that the ideas were dragged on too long. Though I did enjoy it more the second time, I think I'm leaving this one at two stars.

First Review- May 18, 2011
Leadership and Self Deception is a self-help/leadership book. It teaches us how we as people tend to be selfish, and to be bias towards ourselves when forming opinions or giving blame. The book points out the importance of thinking of others as people, not objects, and how that attitude can change the way we do everything.
I had to read it for a College class, a communications class, if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have read it, and definitely wouldn't have finished it. I just feel like it contained too many simple ideas, and dragged them on for far too long. The book wasn't written as a normal business book, but was written as a story. In a fictional business, a fictional new executive employee is called in by his boss to receive training. This successful company trains all of its employees by bringing them these ideas about "living in the box," not blaming others, and recognizing other people as people with needs, not just objects. The reader is just an observer to this long training session. All in all I wasn't impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leadership and Self-Deception.

05/16/2011 page 32