Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Nightspell

Nightspell by Leah Cypess

Nightspell is an alluring spellbinding fantasy with a fantastic twist. The story's strong characters, and unique world, Ghostland, make Nightspell the perfect companion novel to Leah Cypess's debut novel, Mistwood.

The story centers on Darri who's traveling with her brother, Prince Varis, to rescue their youngest sister Callie. Callie was taken a few years ago and brought to the dreaded Ghostland. In this land where the living and the dead live side by side, nothing is what it seems, even for Callie. Darri, the story's main character and Callie are both strong characters, and I was really surprised at how much I ended up liking Darri. By the end of the story I completely understood her motives for her actions through out the book. The character who surprised me the most was Clarisse, who is also in Mistwood.

I am a sucker for strong, independent, well written characters, which Nightspell has a lot of. I loved the action, the subtle romance, the tension and character chemistry that happens between both the living and the dead. The deception between the characters was brilliant. It kept me glued to the pages, because I had to know what happened next. Leah Cypress really delivers a one of the kind fantasy story filled with in-depth plot twists. I really enjoyed the mythology that centers on Ghostland, as it explains why ghosts and the living are allowed to live side by side, and it's this part of the story that I was the most fascinated with.

Leah Cypess is an engaging fantasy story teller, and has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I loved her debut book Mistwood and really enjoyed reading Nightspell. I want to point out that Nightspell is not a sequel, but a companion book in the series, which can also be read as a stand alone. If you love reading fantasy I highly recommend picking up both books!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightspell.