Paulina's Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 12 to 19, 2011

I want to go to Hex Hall and be one of the Prodigium basically...
Honestly, I was quite nervous getting into Hex Hall simply due to the fact that Hex Hall was such a gush-worthy place in the blogosphere. Everyone has been raving and hyping up this book for so long, that I decided to pick it up and give it a go.

My Synopsis:
This book follows a dark witch named Sophie Mercer who instead of trying to help one of her human 'friends' with a love spell, everything went downhill. See, witches and humans don't really interact well and Sophie's spell leads her to a reformatory school named Hectate Hall, or like everyone calls it Hex Hall. Hex Hall not only has witches and warlocks (male witches); shapeshifters, faeries, and maybe a vamp or two or as the Council likes to call 'The Prodigium.' Each group of Prodigium don't necessarily get along well together as catfights and brawls ensue between everyone and it seems like Sophie Mercer is in the middle of the mess. However, Sophie Mercer ends up rooming with a vampire with not-so-traditional vampire named, Jenna. However, due to the fact that Sophie's dad is a powerful warlock (and head of the Council, may I add) she is having a tough time living up to the name of being a dark witch, well because her spells aren't the best. There are more suspenseful elements added by Ms. Hawkins, because the Prodigium are being attacked by something--it could be L'Occhio di Dio (The Eye of God) or maybe the other obnoxious dark witches blame poor Jenna on the attacks. Sophie Mercer has a lot on her plate: trying to clear her friend Jenna on these attacks, trying to pass her classes, being forced into a coven she never wanted to be a part in, romance on a fellow warlock, and also trying to figure out her family's past and who Sophie Mercer really is.

Characters:
Sophie Mercer: I found Sophie to be my ideal heroine. She was witty, heroic, brave, humorous, and sarcastic. She definitely got the chuckles out of me that's definitely assured. There was definitely more than meets the eye with Sophie. Her responses to her fellow classmates and teachers mark a total LOL moments in the book and she doesn't feel the need to prove herself to anyone that she is this dark and majestic witch, because even though that's what Sophie is she is totally the opposite of that. She just wants to make peace, fit in, and try to make everything right between her and the Prodigium equals. The more I found out about Sophie in the story, the more I couldn't believe who she was really. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but you have to read the book to find out more (especially towards the end) on Ms. Sophiiaaa ;D
Jenna the Vamp: Jenna is not your run-of-the-mill vampire. She is pink obsessed; she has a pink stripe in her blond hair, and her whole room is decked out in yo guessed it pink.... definitely no coffins for Ms. Jenna. You definitely have a soft spot for Jenna in the book, because she is the only vampire in the school and everyone blames her on the two deaths of the dark witches. You figure out from the beginning that vampires do have a bad rap in the Hectate universe. Jenna definitely doesn't mean any harm and Jenna has only one friend Sophia who cheers her spirits up. Jenna is also gay, which I totally give props for Ms. Hawkins for incorporating LGBT in the book.
Archer Cross: Dark, dreamy, mysterious--the ultimate bad boy. Archer is a warlock (or so we think in the beginning) and he complements Sophia very well. Both have the same humor and you want Sophia and Archer to be together from the very beginning. He, like Sophia, is troubled in his powers and even though he is the bad boy in the book there is a glimmer in him that you see that just wants to make peace and friendship between several of the characters.
Elodie: I had a rollercoaster relationship with Elodie in the book. Elodie is one of the few dark witches in the school and she tries to make Sophie join her coven which could only be dark witches. Elodie is more evil thank Sophie, and unlike Sophie what you see is what you get. she uses her powers her bad: killing other dark witches, summoning demons, and ultimately she does pay the price in the end. Her and Sophie don't really get along well throughout the story, but throughout the ending it's Alice (Sophie's great-grandmother) who ties them together. Elodie tries to bash on Sophie alot, because it's totally obvious Archer likes Sophie and doesn't like Elodie's illusions.

I also wanted to make note that everyone always thinks Archer as the ultimate hottie, but why not Cal? He is the white healing witch filled with that Paul Bunyan lumberjack mixed with highschool football quarteback into one! SCORE! (I need more Cal!) *lol*

Overall, the book was magnificent. I felt truly drawn into all the characters Ms. Hawkins threw in and she did a magically delightful job in putting her own unique twists in each one. So, I have to thank her in bringing Sophie into my life and creating a world like Hex Hall. I enjoyed the setting and I was a bit hesitant at first, because schools tend to be the same in YA stories. But, Hex Hall provided a mix of taboo, enchantment, and the strong old-fashioned values of the south into one place. The older female characters were amazing as well and I found myself being enraptred by Ms. Casnoff, Sophie's mother, and even wickedly-evil Ms. Vandy. I do have to admit the beginning showed a little bit slowness, but you always knew something was coming to you in Hex Hall. I loved Ms. Hawkins fluidity in the way she wrote and the constant cliffhangers chapter through chapter is what made me not willing to put the book down. The book also ends on a cliffhanger so, guys please don't read Demonglass reviews, because it will ruin the story.

This book was utterly astonishing, and I have to read Demonglass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

06/13/2011 page 60