Naomi Young's Reviews > There are No Accidents: In All Things Trust in God

There are No Accidents by Benedict J. Groeschel

May 16, 11

Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy

This book is an easy read, in largish type. I mention that, because, frankly, if you're ill or taking pain meds, in my experience, books in small or dense type can be very daunting.

There are two strands in this book; one is Fr. Groeschel's account of his accident and recovery (the book was, I believe, written before his most recent stroke). The other is a general discussion of redemptive suffering, the Catholic idea that any unavoidable suffering can be united to the sufferings of Christ for one's own spiritual benefit, or that of others.

Fr. Groschel makes points that I think bear repeating. He says there is no sin in seeking pain relief. You may think this is obvious, but I have known tender-hearted Catholics who were reluctant to seek reliable pain control because they believed God wanted them to suffer. There may be people who are called to physical mortifications, but this is DECIDEDLY not something to be sought without the counsel of a regular confessor or spiritual director.

He also says there is some merit in offering suffering even when we suffer badly, that is to say when we complain become irritable. I don't think I need to explain why this is a comforting thought. If it were not for the ability to offer poorly-handled suffering, I probably wouldn't have any to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There are No Accidents.