Brian's Reviews > The Year We Left Home

The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson

May 16, 2011

Read from May 18 to 20, 2011

I won this book on GoodReads First Reads. This book was a literary journey through the history of one family. It begins in the earlyish 70's with a wedding with taking center stage in the first section, and then jumping forward a few years and telling the story from a different character's perspective. I liked this because it gave the book a fresh feel as you jumped forward through time. The family themselves were pretty interesting. They consisted of a mother and father and their three kids, each with their own issues and problems. Some of the characters were better developed than others but overall, I liked the family featured. One thing about this book that I read in other reviews and that I wanted to comment on is that some of the stories aren't tied up neatly. For example, in one section, you'll find out about an act of goodness that one of the characters does that could have consequences for his/her family but you never find out the result. I think this was deliberate on the author's part because it leaves the outcome up to the reader. At least I hope that is what the intention was. Like many other books I read, I'm still thinking about the characters after I have finished, wondering how they will end up. I think this is the mark of a good book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year We Left Home.

05/19/2011 page 113