Ridley's Reviews > A Bed of Spices

A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: 5-star, ebook, favorites, medieval, read-2011, naughty-stick
Read from June 05 to 19, 2011

Well. This is rare. I can't find any flaws with this book. None. I can criticize anything, but this book? Not happening.

It's just the perfect story of actual forbidden love. This isn't about crossed signals, stern parents or mismatched values. Oh no, this is about a highborn German woman and a Jewish physician. In the 14th century. During the Black Death. In the midst of anti-Jewish pogroms. I mean, there's "forbidden love" and then there's "shit just got real."

What I loved most about the book is how evenly matched Rica and Solomon are. They're two people who are surprised to find everything they've always wanted in each other. Neither had thought they wanted a great passionate love or an easy companionship in marriage, but they immediately feel as though they've known each other forever, and suddenly have no idea how they'd live without it. There was a sense of wonderment and enchantment in their conversation that was just infectious. I fell in love, ached and finally rejoiced right along with them.

Everyone should read this book. Plonk down the $2 and read it today. Your life will be richer for doing it.
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bed of Spices.

06/05/2011
25.0% "I'm enjoying it so far, but am dreading that everything is gonna go pear-shaped for the characters. Didn't need more anxiety in my life. Hockey was doing a bang-up job of it on its own."

Mary B. This is one of those books that will leave you wondering how in the hell they will ever find an HEA. But that just makes the HEA all the more wonderful when it happens. I'm glad you're enjoying it, though! Didn't seem like it would have been your first choice.

message 2: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy I've been hearing so many good things about this book. I bought it when it was $.99 and just haven't read it yet. Your great review makes me want to start it.

Ridley It was nigh impossible to put down. It took a historic run through the Stanley Cup Final to pull me away.

When I picked it back up today, I read straight through the 75% to go. At one point I was curled up awkwardly by a window trying to read in the twilight rather than put it down long enough to turn a light on.

Mary B. Glad you loved it! I agree, such an uncommonly wonderful story.

message 5: by MelissaB (last edited Jun 20, 2011 05:37AM) (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Ridley! I love that all these great older books are being released in ebook format at low prices.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Wonderful review, Ridley! I've added it to my amazon wishlist and when I get another gift card, I'll be picking it up.

Bark's Book Nonsense I think I have this book somewhere. You make want to dig furiously through my (too) many bookshelves and bins to unearth it. Great review.