Abbey's Reviews > One Coffee With

One Coffee With by Margaret Maron

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: myst-police, own, favorites, myst-cosies, series, myst-fems-project, myst-set-andor-auth-usa, vintage
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 4+

BOTTOM LINE: This is the first in a mystery series starring one of my all-time favorite detectives, Sigrid Harald. Each time I reread this I'm reminded how much I really enjoy her "presence". That intelligent, prickly, sharp-edged but actually gentle woman is a superb creation, and the mystery plots ain't bad either. Entire series is highly recommended.

Ms. Maron's first mystery novel is quite a polished accomplishment, with its excellent plot and wonderful characterizations. Herein we meet Lt. Sigrid Harald of the NYC police, her Squad and other co-workers, and the folks in her non-work life. This include the spectacular Oscar Naumann, and, you know, it's pretty difficult when a reader not only falls in love with the lead detective, she also falls in love with that main detective's love interest!! Ahhh, jealousy!! Envy, actually. Sigrid and Oscar make a wonderful, if combustable (both sexually and emotionally) couple, and following their progress down the rocky road of romance is actually a lot of fun, as Maron has her tongue securely tucked in her cheek most of the time about it.

Oscar is chairman of the Art Departent of a smallish New York City college, and he is also a world-renowned - and quite wealthy- artist as well. When a particularly nasty colleague gets himself murdered Sigrid is assigned the case, and it's life-changing for her. One of the nicest things about this series is the ability to watch Sigrid grow up and out, to become more of a fully human being - and to slowly, over time, find out not only more about herself, but also about her family's past.

Ms. Maron deftly weaves everything together in not only this first-in-series, but also the subsequent books, making it extremely enjoyable even upon rereading. I do wish she would write more Sigrid stories, though (the last was published in 1995).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Coffee With.