Lady*M's Reviews > Wicked Cool

Wicked Cool by Val Kovalin

Jun 28, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, m-m-romance
Read on June 28, 2011

I like Val's writing (I'm still praying for Trinity Trespass sequel), but I really disliked Brian.

I liked the humor centering around Brian's accent, but I really disliked Brian.

As a former sport shooter, I know the scene at the shooting range was spot-on and it was a nice story spice for me, in addition to other details Val incorporated into novella (that bug creeped me out though), but... yeah, not so hot about Brian.

You can say that I liked pretty much everything about Wicked Cool except one of the protagonists. Brian entered the WitSec and, knowing all the possible dangers, started the new relationship without any warning to his partner. Now, if Stu was just a casual fuck, I would understand that. But, even when the relationship turned serious and, therefore, relevant for his situation (and people who were after him), Brian refused to say anything while whining to Stu and asking for his help. And, not going to the police or his handler. You know that old one: If Woody had gone right to the police, this would never have happened. Man, Stu was a saint.

All this said, maybe I wouldn't have disliked him so much if his POV was presented, so I could understand him better. That probably wasn't an option due to the word count limitations.

Don't let my grumbling fool you, I liked the story. So much so that the next book I read will be Val's too. But, because of Brian (poor guy, I really bashed him), 3.75 start rounded to 4.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Cool.

06/28/2011 page 55
64.71% "To Stu’s surprise,
Brian took instruction just like a woman. He listened and
remembered everything.
- EXACTLY. ^^"
06/28/2011 page 66
77.65% "Brian made the first move?! C'mon!"

message 1: by Sagajo (new)

Sagajo Lol, this could have been my review for Ink Illusions, just replace Brian with Rosemary. Val has a very engaging writing style though, sometimes I feel almost kidnapped.

Also LOVE Trinity Pass.

Lady*M Sagajo wrote: "Lol, this could have been my review for Ink Illusions, just replace Brian with Rosemary. Val has a very engaging writing style though, sometimes I feel almost kidnapped.

Also LOVE Trinity Pass."

I still have to read Ink Illusions, that's the only one of Val's books I missed. I so want more Navarro and Parnell.