Elizabeth's Reviews > Weekend Warriors

Weekend Warriors by Fern Michaels

May 18, 2011

did not like it
Read from May 16 to 17, 2011

A couple weeks ago I was browsing in the public library and struck up a conversation with this sweet older lady. She's probably in her late 60s. And seemed like the nice grandmotherly type. In the course of the conversation she recommend Fern Michaels Sisterhood series. So I picked it up. Little old ladies are rarely wrong, right? Wrong.

Revenge makes for great stories in all media. I mean, who doesn't like Chuck Bronson in Death Wish?

While I liked the plot idea, a group of wronged women joining up to help each other exact revenge on the people who wronged them and escaped justice for one reason or another.

In reality, I felt the vitriol seemed harsh--I know all vitriol is harsh, but this seemed harsh and disingenuous. And I just couldn't suspend belief long enough to get on board with the plotline. This revenge is too much. Just too much.

And it also seemed that Ms Michaels may have had a word limit to this book.

Decisions were made by characters and suddenly everything was finished. No details. Just like SNAP and it happens. And that felt disingenuous. And rushed. And hurried. Like she wasn't allowed to flesh out the storyline more fully.

I don't know. Many people liked this. Little old ladies love this series. But this one left me cold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weekend Warriors.

04/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Cathey Do you th

Lorraine Schaefer Loved it and reading for second time... First time I was young and a new mimb

Judy Mouser I am actually loving this series!! I am currently on #6.

Elizabeth Judy wrote: "I am actually loving this series!! I am currently on #6."

It's such a popular series! I'm sure the problem is with me. I've even thought about trying to read it again to see if I was just in a weird head space. But I can't bring myself to do it. It's just not my thing.

Judy Mouser I thought the same thing when I started reading it. I will have to say, out of the 6 I have read in this series, the 1st book was the worst one out (it took me getting half way through it to really get going then it was a fast fun read). I would definitely try again and try to get passed the 1st one if you have some down time with nothing to read of course ;)

Perry Antoyo I went as far as to read several more, all because some little old lady related to me recommended these. That's the problem. They're for little old ladies.

Elizabeth Perry wrote: "I went as far as to read several more, all because some little old lady related to me recommended these. That's the problem. They're for little old ladies."

Ok, Perry! You've got me laughing. So maybe I should take it as a point of pride that it is not for me? I'm not an old lady? (yet. my time is coming.)

Angela Jones I have to say I love reading , The sisterhood series are to me great frictional reading love Fern Michaels books and I'm not an old lady ha ha

Elizabeth Angela Jones wrote: "I have to say I love reading , The sisterhood series are to me great frictional reading love Fern Michaels books and I'm not an old lady ha ha"

Clearly, most people agree with you! I just couldn't get into it. It is probably me, not the Sisterhood. Lol.

Linda Uh oh....I'm 35 and love this series. I've read every single one. There's like 25 of them I think. Now I feel old.

message 11: by Rose (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose Elizabeth - I'm with you, I am not a fan of this book. I'm currently reading it at the recommendation of my mother and older sister. They keep telling me how funny it is, I haven't laughed yet. Happy Reading.