Mary's Reviews > The Sea Captain's Wife

The Sea Captain's Wife by Beth Powning

Jun 28, 11

bookshelves: adult-books
Read from May 16 to June 28, 2011

I enjoyed this story of a woman, Azuba, who made the unusual - but not unheard of - decision to accompany her merchant-captain-husband, with her children as he sailed around the world to obtain and deliver cargo. The story examines the strained marriage between the husband and wife that is further complicated by the difficulty of trying to integrate two, sometimes conflicting, ways of relating - as husband and wife, and as ship's captain and passenger. It also looks at the the effects on their daughter of being separated from her father for years while he is away, and of living at sea when her mother decides to go with him. What is really interesting to me, and what keeps the story moving, is that the sea travels are often difficult and filled with dangerous adventure, and Azuba's strength is called upon more than she ever imagined. I also liked the descriptions of the places - both exotic and cosmopolitan - where the ship stopped.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea Captain's Wife.