Chris's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

May 17, 11

bookshelves: lit-fiction-american, historical-fiction-ww-ii
Read from May 16 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

I liked the first half of this book much better than the second half of the book. The first half is great; the second half almost feels like a Masterpiece Theatre cliche.

Still, I'm glad I read this book. At times, it is a very lovely book.

The first half focuses on the developing relationship between the Guernsey Islanders and Juliet who gets to know them via letters. It's true that some of the letters sound too much alike even though they are written by different people. The one wholly distint voice is that of Isola, which is way she is my favorite character. This first part of the book deals in part with the experience of the Islanders during thier occupation by the Nazis during WW II. This occupation did, in fact, really occur and the Islands saw the only deportation of British citzens residing in Britian to the camps.

The second half of the book doesn't quite work for me. It becomes a very predictable romance, very predictable stranger finding her place, very predictable and really unneeded literary plot. In many ways, certain parts of this section streched the realms of disbelief. Sorry, but it's true (as did the really short letters that sounded like emails). Because of the material and occurences in the second half, the tragedy that is expressed earlier in the book loses its impact.

Still, the book is well worth a read. It did make me laugh. I enjoyed reading it.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn While reading the second half, I kept saying, "who cares" to myself. Feeling cranky today else it was just really boring!

Chris The second half totally ruined the book. It was like Juliet was simply taking whatsherface's place. Have you read The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy? That is a good WW II fictional novel.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I'll mark it now!