Hp Tan's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

May 16, 11

bookshelves: favourites, series, ya, reread-someday
Read on May 15, 2011

AND IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER.
So Aguilera says, and she's right.

The Iron Queen was breathtaking and I was glad I went to the library to try to get a hold of it. I had to keep from grinning like a maniac when I saw it on the shelves.

Really, it's crazy how well the books just keep improving. I loved the plot twists, though the ending was sad for me. Well. I would assume it would be sad for many too.

All in all, it was an excellent read, and Julie Kagawa must be helluva proud of writing such a wonderful book in such an awesome series!! Fans of Iron Fey series have not been raving for nothing, I see now!

Can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

Quotes Hp Liked

Julie Kagawa
“His forehead bumped softly against mine, his brilliant silver gaze searing into me. “I plan to keep you, from everyone, for as long as I’m alive. That includes Puck, the false king, and anyone else who would take you away.” One corner of his mouth quirked, as I struggled to catch my breath under his powerful scrutiny. “I guess I should’ve warned you that I have a slight possessive streak.”

Julie Kagawa
“My name is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn, third son of the Unseelie Court...Let it be known--from this day forth, I vow to protect Meghan Chase, daughter of the Summer King, with my sword, my honor, and my life. Her desires are mine. Her wishes are mine. Should even the world stand against her, my blade will be at her side. And should it fail to protect her, let my own existence be forfeit. This I swear, on my honor, my True Name, and my life. From this day on..." His voice went even softer, but I still heard it as though he whispered it into my ear. "I am yours.”

Julie Kagawa
“But ... but what if I hit you?”
A snort. “You’re not going to hit me.”
“How do you know?” I bristled at his amused tone. “I could hit you. Even master swordsmen make mistakes. I could get a lucky shot, or you might not see me coming. I don’t want to hurt you.”
He favored me with another patient look. “And how much experience do you have with swords and weapons in general?”
“Um.” I glanced down at the saber in my hand. “Thirty seconds?”
He smiled, that calm, irritatingly confident smirk. “You’re not going to hit me.”

Julie Kagawa
“You are my heart, my life, my entire existence."
-Ash”

Julie Kagawa
“Looks like nobody’s home,” Puck said, turning in a slow circle. “Hellooooooooo? Anybody here?”

“Be quiet, Goodfellow,” Ash growled, peering into the shadows with narrowed eyes. “We’re not alone.”

“Yeah? How do you figure that, prince? I don’t see anyone.”

“The cait sith has disappeared.”

“ … Crap.”

Julie Kagawa
“Good idea,” Puck echoed from the back of the cave. “Why don’t you take first watch, prince? You could actually be doing something that doesn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.”
Ash’s lips curled in a smirk. “I would think you’re better suited to the task, Goodfellow,” he said without turning around. “After all, that’s what you’re best at isn’t it? Watching?”
“Oh, keep it up, ice-boy. You’re gonna have to sleep sometime.”

“Hey, princess.”

“Hey,” I whispered, as Ash slipped his arms around my waist from behind, drawing me close. I could feel his glare aimed at Puck over my head, a silent, protective gesture that spoke louder than any words. Mine. Back off.”
tags: ash

Julie Kagawa
“A soft noise, almost a sob. Ash rose, hesitated, as if fighting the compulsion to obey. "I will always be your knight, Meghan Chase," he whispered in a strained voice, as if every moment he remained was painful to him. "And I swear, if there is a way for us to be together, I will find it. No matter how long it takes. If I have to chase your soul to the ends of eternity, I won't stop until I find you, I promise."

And then he was gone.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash and Puck shared a brief glance, and then Ash pushed himself off the wall to stand beside me. “Lead the way,” he said, nodding into the darkness. “We’ll be right behind you.”

“For the record,” Grimalkin stated as we ventured, single file, into the black, “I do not think this is a good idea. But, as no one listens to the cat anymore, I will have to wait until we are completely lost to say ‘I told you so.”

Julie Kagawa
“One more thing,” Ash said in his dangerous, soft voice as we turned away. “If you do not return with her,” Ash continued, staring him down, “if she comes to any harm while she is with you, I will turn this entire camp into a bloodbath. That is my promise, lieutenant.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ah.” Puck’s emerald eyes sparkled with glee. “And so they come crawling back for Puck’s help after all. Tsk tsk.” He shook his head and took another bite of the apple. “How easy it is to forget grudges when someone has something you need.”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, look at that, he's heard of me. My fame grows.”

Julie Kagawa
“I wished that, for once, faery tales – real faery tales, not Disney fairy tales – would have a happy ending.”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, hey princess!” Puck waved inanely as the nymphs pulled him to his feet, still giggling. His hair gleamed, his eyes gleamed, and I barely recognized him. “Wanna play ride the phouka with us?”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash brought my hand to his lips, his eyes never leaving mine. "I love you, Meghan Chase," he murmured against my skin. "For the rest of my life, however long we have left. I'll consider it an honor to die beside you.”

Julie Kagawa
“Puck’s eyes gleamed, feral and menacing. “Oh, I don’t know, princess. Maybe it was because I was stupid enough to care about you. Maybe I actually thought I had a chance. Silly me, thinking that one little kiss meant anything to you.”

Julie Kagawa
“It's not everyday I get to tell someone I was attacked by a pair of flying reading glasses. Ow"

-PUCK”

Julie Kagawa
“I want her to be happy, and she's most happy with you. Maybe this will make up for... past mistakes." He shook his head and returned to his normal idiocy. "So, either you say, 'Sure, I'd love to have you along,' or you have a big bird dropping things on your head the whole trip.”

Julie Kagawa
“You enjoy making my heart stop, don't you?”

Julie Kagawa
“He hesitated, but then stepped beneath the tree and knelt, depositing me gently on the ground between two giant roots. And he stayed there, kneeling beside me, holding my hand in his. Something splashed the back of my hand, cold as spring water, crystalling to my skin. A faery's tears.”

Julie Kagawa
“Her desires are mine. Her wishes are mine. Should even the world stand against her, my blade will be at her side. And should it fail to protect her, let my own existence be forfeit." - Ash”

Julie Kagawa
“A little warning would’ve been nice. You couldn’t have said, ‘Hey, as part of your training today, I’m going to beat you senseless’?”

Julie Kagawa
“My, aren't we bossy today. Give a girl an army and it goes straight to her head.”

Julie Kagawa
“Insult her again, and I will cut your into so many pieces they'll never find them all.”

Julie Kagawa
“I was allergic to myself! How pathetic was that?”

Julie Kagawa
“Fairy godmothers didn't exist, and even if they did, they wouldn't wave a magic wand and make everything better.(Not without a contract, anyway.)”

Julie Kagawa
“You'll take her to a healer, prince, or so help me I will cut out that piece of ice you call a heart and take her myself.”

Julie Kagawa
“I have always loved you, princess" Robin Goodfellow promised, his green eyes shining in the darkness. "I always will. And I'll take whatever you can give me.”

Julie Kagawa
“You might have to teach me a little about the human world, but I'm willing to learn if it means being close to you." - Prince Ash”
tags: ash

Julie Kagawa
“Grim, wait. Are you sure you'll be all right?"

Grimalkin smiled. "I am a cat."

And, just like that, he was gone.”

Julie Kagawa
“He was my best friend, and I'd always have a spot for him in my heart, but... it was you, Ash. I didn't really have a choice. It's always been you.”

Julie Kagawa
“Big giant insect thing holding me several hundred feet in the air? What's there to be nervous about?”

Julie Kagawa
“I learned long ago that you don't get in the middle of a lover's spat. Nothing EVER goes as planned - People fall in love with the wrong person, someone ends up with a donkey head and then its a whole big mess. - Puck”

Julie Kagawa
“The gremlin stopped, blinking up at me with an almost hurt expression. 'Master punish bad kitty?' he said in a pitiful voice.
'No I'm not going to punish the bad kitty,' I said and Grimalkin snorted.
'And you aren't either. I want to talk to you. Will you stay and not run off if we let you go?'
He bobbed his head, as best as he could while his ears were gripped tightly by Puck. 'Master wants Razor stay, Razor stay. Not move until told. Promise.”

Julie Kagawa
“Bad kitty!" he screeched, snarling and baring his fangs at Grimalkin, who yawned and turned away to groom his tail. "Evil, evil, sneaky kitty! Bite your head off in your sleep, I will! Hang you by your toes and set you on fire! Burn, Burn!"
-Razor”

Julie Kagawa
“Well, don't worry about it too much, princess. Let ice-boy cool off for the night and then try to talk to him tomorrow. He wont stay angry with you too long, I bet. Ash isn't one to hold a grudge. ''
''What are you talking about? He's held a grudge against you for centuries!''
''Oh, right.”

Julie Kagawa
“It’s not that I don't trust the guy, but…no, wait--that's exactly the reason.”

Julie Kagawa
“It is the iron." Grimalkin picked his way over a puddle, then leaped atop a fallen tree, shaking out his paws."This close to the false king's realm, his influence is stronger that ever. It will be worse once you are actually within its borders."
Puck snorted."Doesn't seem like it's affecting you much, Cat."
That is because I am smarter than you and prepare for these things."
"Really? How would you prepare for me tossing you into a lake?”

Julie Kagawa
“If you are gone then I will welcome nonexistence. There will be nothing left for me to live for.”

Julie Kagawa
“Ouch. You really know how to tear a guy's heart out, don't you, princess?”

Julie Kagawa
“This is war, human.” Mab’s voice was cold and remorseless. “It is either kill or be destroyed ourselves.”

Julie Kagawa
“Jealousy isn't something we deal with well, but some of us have been around long enough to know when to let go, and what is most important. The happiness of my two best friends should be more important than some ancient feud. - Puck”

Julie Kagawa
“Yes, I still know where I’m going!” I snapped as he emerged beside me yet again, cutting him off before he could say anything. Ash walked on my other side, silent and protective, but I caught him rolling his eyes as Glitch came up.
The rebel leader scowled. “Relax, your highness. I wasn’t going to ask this time.”
“Aw, that’s a shame,” Puck said, falling into step beside him. “You’re gonna make me lose my bet with ice-boy. Come on, be a sport. Say it one more time, for me?”

Julie Kagawa
“Hey, corpse-breath, why don't you do everyone a favor and sew your lips shut? It'll match the rest of your face AND be an improvement. - Puck”

Julie Kagawa
“Aw, boss.” The redcap who was spit on smiled at me and licked his fangs. “Can’t we chew on the princess, just a little?”
One-Eyed Jack slapped the offending faery upside the head without looking at him. “Idiot,” he snapped. “I have no desire to pick your frozen guts off the pavement. Now move, you stupid lot. Before I lose my temper.”

Julie Kagawa
“I glanced at Puck and smiled. "Are you going to stop me?"

He held up his hands. "Wouldn't dream of it.”

Julie Kagawa
“I'm not particularly fond of the Summer bitch, pardon my French,”

Julie Kagawa
“One night, bored and restless, I found a stack of dusty board games in a closet, and bullied Ash into learning Scrabble, checkers and Yahtzee. Surprisingly, Ash found that he enjoyed these “human” games, and was soon asking me to play more often than not. This filled some of the long, restless evenings and kept my mind off certain things. Unfortunately for me, once Ash learned the rules, he was nearly impossible to beat in strategy games like checkers, and his long life gave him a vast knowledge of lengthy, complicated words he staggered me with in Scrabble. Though sometimes we’d end up debating whether or not faery terms like Gwragedd Annwn and hobyahs were legal to use.”

Julie Kagawa
“Sure you’ll be all right?” Glitch asked, breaking through my thoughts. “I could come with you, if you’d like. They won’t even see me.”
I shook my head. “Better if I do this alone. Besides, there’s one member of that household who can see you. And he’s seen enough scary monsters to last him a lifetime.”
“Begging your pardon, your highness,” Glitch smirked, “but who are you calling a scary monster?”
I swatted at him.”

Julie Kagawa
“They got married and, as humans do, began to drift apart.”