Lisa's Reviews > The Dive From Clausen's Pier

The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Aug 12, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: hated-and-overrated
Recommended for: Housewives and Oprah watchers.
Read in January, 2006

** spoiler alert ** Ugh. Wish I had back the time it took out of my life to read this. The worst things about this book: 1. I simply did NOT find the actions, thoughts, and dialogue believable for a young woman of her age. 2. The NYC stuff was beyond ridiculous and not even remotely realistic.
Maybe it would have been better if she'd been the one crippled instead of her boyfriend. She has so many emotional problems including being both a control freak and a giant martyr that I just hated her.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dive From Clausen's Pier.

message 1: by Ron (new) - rated it 1 star

Ron Hah! If you thought the NY stuff was unrealistic, the Madison stuff is worse. She was a dilettante who lived in Madison for two years to finish grad school in 1988-89 and got the vast majority of the physical topography of this region wrong, and she had the audacity to use an outmoded hippie term for a neighborhood (Miffland) that I've never heard uttered once since I arrived here in 1984 (and memory says the book was set in the last two decades). The martyr part also bothered me, and it was only made worse that she had an epiphany as a seamstress.