A.B. Shepherd's Reviews > While I Live

While I Live by John Marsden

May 16, 2011

Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** The series continues on from where the Tomorrow series by this author ends. If you have not read the Tomorrow series yet, you should read that before beginning this book.

****SPOILERS****
In the months since the war has ended, Ellie and her friends and family have returned home. Some have moved on to new lives, others are trying to pick up the pieces of their old lives. All are adjusting to the aftermath of the war. Just as Ellie's life is beginning to have a sense of normalcy again, her parents are murdered by enemy soldiers in a border raid. After all that Ellie has already been through in the war, I almost feel like this is just too much for her to have to bear and I almost feel like the author has become even more cruel than fate. In addition to that Ellie finds enemies closer to home in her new guardian, and gets caught up with the Liberation.

I can see where she would become a bit of a thrill junkie after all her war experiences, but at the same point in time I feel like this poor girl just can't go on much longer after all she's been through.

I ALMOST feel like John Marsden has jumped the shark with this one. ALMOST. But I still love Ellie and friends and I can't wait to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While I Live.