Joni Daniels's Reviews > Save Me: A Novel

Save Me by Lisa Scottoline

May 16, 11

Read in May, 2011

I like the authors writing and know that regardless of what happens to her heroines, there will be happy ending. I enjoy the legal knowledge she shares and often feel smarter about both criminal and civil law after reading her books. This main character is not an attorney but her husband is and she hires two to help her along the way). I admit that I found the main character annoying because she is a self-doubting mom who doesn’t talk to her husband about the important things in her life. I’m tired of books about these kinds of women. They eventually find their footing after going through a harrowing situation. While Scottoline poses an great conceit (much like Piccoult) about an ethical ‘what would you do’ (save the kids or save your kid), I guess I expected her heroine to have an adult relationship with her husband, and less of need to always be a cheerleader for her daughter (or be disappointed in herself when she’s not). I get that many authors and publishers think that women want to see heroines doubt themselves – just like the readers do, but I would love to read about more women like Bennie (previous Scottoline books) and are on solid emotional footing, feel good about themselves, who they are and what they do, and have good relationships with the men in their lives. Just a thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save Me.