AH's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

May 16, 2011

bookshelves: first-in-series, urban-fantasy, own, demons, druid, lawyers, zzread-june-2011, vampires, vikings, were, witches, favorites
Recommended to AH by: Rane
Read from June 22 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

Awesome!

A really fun read! I barely finished the first chapter when I went online and quickly ordered the next 2 books in the series.

There is so much to like about Kevin Hearne’s book Hounded, book 1 of the Iron Druid Chronicles. Take a look at the cover. Nice. Read the blurb on the back cover. Amusing. Hounded is the story of Atticus O’Sullivan, a 2100 year old Druid living as a 21 year old in Arizona. Atticus is in possession of a magical sword Fragarach, The Answer. A whole slew of characters want the sword; the very imposing and scary Aenghus Og at the head of the line.

The narrative voice is wonderful. Told from Atticus’ point of view, the main character is very likeable and witty. Atticus has some distinct observations of modern society and a great sense of humor. Most of the books I’ve encountered in the Urban Fantasy genre so far have been written by women and have a woman’s point of view that this book was a refreshing change.

The lore is well researched and detailed. The magic and spells feel authentic. Each supernatural creature (and there are many) seems to come alive. I liked how the author melded the mythologies and magic of the fae and druid together and juxtaposes them with current cultural references.

For dog lovers, there’s Oberon, the talking Irish wolfhound. Oberon is a loyal companion with a thing for French poodles. Oberon has a almost a child-like view of the world and is totally lovable. Who can dislike a talking dog that quotes Cartman from Southpark?

Eccentric characters abound in this book. Atticus’ neighbor, the widow is a hoot! She has no problem keeping bodies buried in her backyard. Atticus entertains powerful goddesses and sleeps with them too. His lawyers are a vampire and a werewolf.

What a great start to a series. I can’t wait to read the next book Hexed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

06/22/2011 page 1
0.0% "Just read the back cover out loud to the husband. This book sounds promising." 3 comments
06/23/2011 page 12
4.0% "Amazing. I'm only on page 12 and I've ordered the next 2 books in the series." 11 comments
06/24/2011 page 46
16.0% "

"You are telling me that your lawyer is a bloodsucking vampire?"

"Yes. He is an associate at the firm of Magnusson and Hauk. Hauk is also my attorney; he's also Icelandic, but he is a werewolf and takes care of clients during the day, and Helgarson obviously does his business after sunset."

" 2 comments
06/24/2011 page 152
53.0% ""You know, Atticus, that turning-into-a-crow business is pretty slick, but that's not her best godlike power by a long shot. She can sense when specific people are approaching in time to avoid them! Wouldn't it be cool if you could automatically avoid assholes for the rest of your life?" - Oberon talking about Morrigan."
06/26/2011 page 289
100.0% "Fantastic! Can't wait to read the next books."

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review! I'll have to check this one out.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Dhes! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Rane YAY! Another Atticus IDC fangirrl! *hugs*

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Us IDC fangirls need to stick together! *hugs*

Rane AH wrote: "Us IDC fangirls need to stick together! *hugs*"

*hugs* and spread the IDC love! ;D

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Sounds interesting - added it to my long TBR list.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Terry - I think you may like it. Urban Fantasy done well. Great mythology and lore.

Greta is Erikasbuddy DANG! You've read it now I want to read it ;) Yes... I was waiting for you to read it lolz ;)

Awesome review! You just sold me!

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Greta. I think you might enjoy it. Lots of crazy things happen and the drunk widow next door is hilarious.

Are you guys going to review it on your blog?

Greta is Erikasbuddy If I read it I'll totally put it on the blog :)

The fact that THOR is in this series really really makes me curious :) I just saw THOR yesterday at the dollar theater and omg swoon!! I wants me some more. But I here he's a bully in this series which makes me wonder even more about it :P

YUP YUP! I'm going to have to check this series out. I wonder if my son would enjoy it? Its so hard to find books that he'll read. He's such a picky pick. I can't IMAGINE where he picked that up at? HAHAHS!

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thor is in this series but every time someone refers to him they call him an a$$hole or other nasty names. I think he pops around in the third book, but not sure when.

Speaking of hunky movies - Did you see the preview for Conan? It's Khal Drogo!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Jason Momoa - I knew he was doing Conan and should be perfect. If you like him he has a really cute/sexy part in the TV movie Tempted from back in 2003. It's a chik flik but kind of fun.

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I loved him in Game of Thrones. Can't wait to see Conan.

message 14: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey Jason Momoa was in GAME OF THRONES?! %$&@!!!! How did I not know that? I NEED to watch that show now.

And now I can't wait to read this book as well.

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Lyndsey - He was - wait for it - shirtless!!! and occasionally there was some nice rear view as well.

message 16: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey No.Freaking.Way! Good lord, why am I just now hearing about this? XD

He was the MAIN reason I watched Stargate Atlantis every week.

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Hmmm - must look into Stargate Atlantis - only seem to get the original on THIS TV and I quickly grew bored of those guys.

message 18: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey It was on for five seasons, I think. It was quirkier and more action oriented then SG1.

I loved them both, but I have a sick sick addiction to anything space based.

message 19: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane

*keels over*

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "Thor is in this series but every time someone refers to him they call him an a$$hole or other nasty names. I think he pops around in the third book, but not sure when.

Speaking of hunky movies - D..."

Yes sir re bobby! I totally saw the previews for CONAN! It inspired me to watch PATHFINDER the other day lolz!

I think the 3rd book is called Hammered. Maybe he's more in that one. I just can't imagine Thor being a baddy ;) LOLZ! But I'm probably not being fair. I'm really really going to have to get those books so i can see what everyone is squeeing about :)

are they set in like ASGAURD (probably not spelled right) or in modern day?

message 21: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Greta, the books are set in Arizona, modern day. I love how he has these really old gods with their old ways in modern society. It was especially funny when Morrigan tried to be cool and said something that was so off - If I find the quote, I'll put it in.

message 22: by AH (last edited Jul 21, 2011 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH OK, I found it. It wasn't Morrigan but Flidais --
p43 -

"Confirm it all with the Morrigan. For just as Aenghus and I were about to come to blows, she alighted on my shoulder as the battle crow and told Aenghus to back the fuck off."

"She actually said that?"

"No." I grinned. "I confess that was a bardic embellishment. She said I was under her personal protection and by threatening me he placed himself in peril."

Flidais clapped her hands in delight. "Oh, I bet he nearly shat kine!"

That made me laugh - I hadn't heard that expression in a long, long time. I refrained from telling her that the modern expression would be "he had a cow," because I liked the original better.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ! Sweet!!

But after reading that I fear this book might be smarter than me :)

I really dig how its in modern day though ;) Have you seen THOR, yet? He gets shot from his time into modern day US and is doing all this funny viking stuff that leaves the people around him thinking "uhhhh" lolz!

message 24: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH No, I didn't get a chance to see Thor. Maybe when it comes out on DVD if I remember. I saw Captain America got 4 stars and Conan has some great eye candy.

This book is not smarter than you. You'll like it. He writes really well and you'll be giggling. You'll love Oberon! Everyone does.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Sweet!! I'll give it a whirl ;)

Thor comes out on dvd in September. I enjoyed it but I'm curious if a 'not as big a fan as me' would dig it. My hubz just kept saying "You think he's cute don't you? Why weren't you like this when you saw him in Star Trek?" Uhhh... duhs! Cuz he wasn't THOR! haha

I sooo want to see Captain America but we'll probably wait till it gets to the dollar theater. And yes yes yes! I want to see Conan too but my hubz doesn't want to see that. I guess I'll have to wait to Redbox that one.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I LOVED Thor. Already pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon. Talk about a sexy guy - and it's a fun movie too! Thor's brother Loki is really a great actor and sexy in a different way.

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'll add it to the DVD list. I'm sure the boys would enjoy it too.