Trisha's Reviews > Phantom Waltz

Phantom Waltz by Catherine Anderson

Apr 18, 14

bookshelves: romance
Read from July 04 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Um, well, I guess I shouldn't expect that much from a book in this genre, but quite frankly, I have read better romances. I hate to drag the lady's average rating down but really, this read was just "ok" to me. I did like aspects of it, but all in all I didn't find it all that satisfying. For most of the book, or so it felt to me, the couple was together and enjoying their time with each other. They did have a hurdle to overcome right at the end, but to me it wasn't one of those "hard won loves" that I like to read about.

I also don't know that Ryan Kendrick was realistic enough for me. I like my heroes to be sexy and appealing of course (and "sexy" can take many, many forms, at least for me), but I also like them to be believable, so that I can actually imagine them existing in reality. Perhaps I'm just jaded though, from my experiences with men. I can definitely see why some women would have found the character of Ryan appealing - would have found him to be their ideal fantasy. But he didn't really do it for me in all the ways I would prefer.

Sometimes it felt like the book was going to be one long saga in which the heroine (Bethany) gets into trouble and the hero has to dash in and save the day. I don't really like helpless heroines, and while Bethany had good reason to be more helpless than most (paraplegic), I still got a bit tired of her always getting into trouble & having to be rescued. I also felt like the love story unfolded too quickly which added to the lack of realism I like to see in a good love story. I know that attraction/infatuation can happen really quickly, but to have the characters so quickly jump into "Oh, Ryan, I love you so much!" and "Darlin', I will love you forever and ever and ever!!!" I definitely got sick of Bethany saying, "Oh, Ryan!"

Ahem...yes, I must be a cynic.

I did like the bull, T-Bone, and the kitty who made his back her home. :P Though I will say that Ryan got my back up when he said he hated cats. I can't ever respect a man who hates cats. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom Waltz.