Trisha's Reviews > Audrey, Wait!

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, reviewed, romance
Read from November 06 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I finished this a few days back but didn't get around to putting up my review, so I'm doing it now. This book had everything a YA book should have - excitement, drama, humour, etc. I also could really relate to the main character because that was SO ME in high school. Except for the whole "trendsetter" "arm huggy" thing, of course. And except for the making out with a total stranger (really, that's what he was) backstage. But I was obsessed with music. So I can totally relate to Audrey's own obsession. However, to be honest, while Audrey had all the makings of a perfectly loveable character I should have sympathised with, a lot of the time she kind of annoyed me.

Not even sure I can put my finger on it either. But I thought she was a bit contradictory at times - she seemed to love the attention she was getting some of the time, while hating it. I kept saying as she was making out with Simon backstage, "BE CAREFUL CHICKA. What are you, an idiot??" I'm not sure I would have rejected the concept of making out with Billy Corgan backstage when I was 16, but then she had the gall to say to Simon, "You DO know I'm 16 right??" I mean, what did she think this famous rock star was GOING to do? Give her chaste kisses and leave it at that? Not that he actually did anything bad, but of course he wanted to. And yeah, he was a sleazy jerk. But really, she put herself in that situation and part of me has no sympathy for her at all. Does that make me an un-feminist? I don't think so! I just think that Audrey was a slight idiot, that's all.

Also, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, even I was shocked by the amount of swearing that went on. This is really hilarious coming from me, since I swear all day long and LOVE to use bad words. I swore even more during high school, probably enough to make Audrey and her friend Victoria blush. But for some reason the language in this book kind of took me aback. I KNOW I'm not becoming an old prude 'cause, like I said, I still use terrible language and love every second of it. But maybe I was already rubbed the wrong way by the characters and so their swearing didn't sit right either. I don't know!

I did snort with laughter a few times throughout the story, and it really was good. But, yeah, I guess there were just some things that irritated me. Like Audrey, for e.g.

P.S. I think maybe she was too "cool" for my liking. I like more dorky-yet-witty characters I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audrey, Wait!.