penny shima glanz's Reviews > The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 1: 1889-1910

The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 1 by L.M. Montgomery

Oct 11, 09

bookshelves: library-columbia, women
Read in October, 2009

I am thankful to the editors Mary Rubio and Elizabeth Waterston for publishing LMM's journals. My comments as to their editing are for another time. I felt honoured to gain a window seat to Maud's life and discover the challenges, struggles, joys, and fun that lead to the woman who wrote about Anne-girl. I enjoyed reading of how she grew as a writer.

Perhaps most importantly this past week, I found many of her words a comfort as they are words I've often thought but not known how to express as eloquently as she. The words no child really wishes to write: Wednesday Mar 6, 1901 "Life has never seemed the same to me since father died. Something is gone and in its place is a pain and loneliness and longing that is sometimes dulled but is always there... I have success in a growing measure and a keen appreciation of all the world and the times offer for delight and interest. But underneath it all is the haunting sense of emptiness."

Thank you LMM. Those words were the ones I most needed to read this past week.

In reading these journals I feel a stronger sense of the woman and the time and place who wrote of a little orphan girl. I'm very happy that a story which "was a labor of love. Nothing I have ever written gave me so much so much please to write" would bring such joy to readers over the years. (quote from Friday Aug 16, 1907).

I hope one day to read the other volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 1.

10/08/2009 page 300