Brenton Nichol's Reviews > The Arctic Marauder

May 15, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: comics-graphic-novels, fantasy-and-adventure
Read in April, 2011

I haven't done a great job of perusing graphic novels pre-Sandman and Watchmen, so I'm not familiar with Jacques Tardi or with comics in general from the 70s. This book struck me as indicative of the general vibe I have gotten from what little pre-80s comics work I have seen - it doesn't take itself very seriously. It's been pointed out that The Arctic Marauder can be read as a parody of its genre, but I didn't get that from my reading at all - the plot developments and devices seemed lazy and nonsensical rather than self-aware and satirical.

The artwork is fantastic, very well suited to the story contents, and that story does have all the elements of a fantastic adventure yarn, but the whole thing felt like...a contractual work that Tardi HAD to do, so he threw down a mad mess of story elements, the result being a work that feels like Tardi rolling his eyes at the genre rather than smartly critiquing in parody. Maybe I didn't know quite what to expect from a 1974 book originally written in France...?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arctic Marauder.