Roxanne's Reviews > The Godfather

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Mar 02, 2008

bookshelves: already-read, favorites, re-read
Read in March, 2006

I absolutely loved this book! This book started my long running obsession with Mafia.

The Godfather is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paints this elaborate picture of the Sicilian mafia through the eyes of Michael Corleone, a returning Marine Corps hero who at first wants nothing to do with the elaborate crime family that his father has built.

Don Vito Corleone, an Italian immigrant who goes from poverty in Little Italy to create one of the Five Families of New York with the help of his friends Peter Clamenza and Salvatore Tessio.

His inferiors include his sons, the short tempered Santino "Sonny", the clumsy Fredo, and of course Michael. Wounded war Vet Rocco Lampone, and the tough Luca Bracsi.

The Godfather starts in a 1945 New York. A mob war is brewing between the Corleone's and a rival family. The dilema of getting into drug trade and betrayal are at the heart of this literature classic.

The reason that the Godfather is so good is the depth of Mario Puzo's characters. They aren't just evil criminals. They are real people. Puzo romanticises the mafia life and that time period altogether.

He also does something perfectly what other books have tried to do and miserably failed at. He parodies real life characters into his novel. Johny Fontane the saloon singer is his fictional Sinatra and it is perfectly done.

This is easily ther best book you will ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godfather.

Amanda I haven't read the book but I'm think about it and your review is swaying me towards it. Great review and description of the book without giving way any spoilers!

Liliana Kohl Great description. And sorry, I'm a grammar nazi, I know, but his name is spelled Peter Clemenza, not Clamenza, and also it's Luca Brasi, not Bracsi. :)