Laura's Reviews > Witchblade Origins Volume 1

Witchblade Origins Volume 1 by David Wohl

May 15, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels-comic-books
Read in January, 2011

Initially I was turned off by this GN because of the over-the-top sexy look of the main character. "Starsky never had to do THIS to make a bust." Sorry, I just can't sympathize with a main character who is clearly drawn the way she is to lure male readers. And even the males in Witchblade are drawn to be annoyingly handsome. But then one of my favorite GNs is Transmet which opens with a crazy looking troll of a hermit hillman.

Beyond the looks of the characters, the actual style of the illustrations is done well and the layout is creative to fit around the story not the pages. The writing left a bit to be desired. The dialogue and the way dialogue is mixed with characters' internal thoughts was your typical cookie-cutter superhero style. The overall plot was enjoyable with some character development and intrigue about what the Witchblade is and what it's potential can be.

I especially disliked Jake who was an annoying little well-intentioned tag-along who doesn't really provide Sara much more support than she can't already handle. I was also disappointed that with the story continually hinting about Ken's elaborate secret plans for the Witchblade and then his big plan just culminates in merely trying to make a grab for it. Really? But I did especially like the complex working relationship between Ken Irons and Nottingham and the odd cryptic scenes between Sara and Nottingham.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchblade Origins Volume 1.