Lacy's Reviews > Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster

F_50x66
Mar 02, 08

bookshelves: 2008, fiction, otherpeopleslives

While Jen Lancaster is clearly funny - and has a good way with a turn of phrase - this books is not nearly as entertaining, in a trashy way, as Bitter is the New Black was. It doesn't hang cohesively, some of the vignettes are not even in order chronologically, and there's not a real "point" to it, which you could say about Bitter, despite its huge ego. This is just a collection of basic short story vignettes that apparently the author had to submit as part of her book deal, and it's not about life in the city, it's not about anything, really, save the author's endless moaning about how haaaaaarrrd it is to be a writer, and her adventures temping and omg she has to worrrrrrk at hooooomee aaaaah etc. etc. There's way too much focus on her Republican politics (not funny. don't care. Ann Coulter REALLY DOES suck, so the fact that she's your idol makes me twitch), and on her dogs pooping on things. (Ew?) Again, I blew through it, same as the first one, but this felt like such a letdown - it just doesn't go anywhere and it felt just like...binge eating after reading it. I'll read her third book, because I'm a glutton for punishment but after this I don't expect much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Lights, Big Ass.