Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Buried Prey

Buried Prey by John Sandford

The best thing about this installment is the 170 pages or so when you get to go back to 1985, three years before the first Prey novel takes place. Lucas is 23, and he's spent three years as a uniformed patrolman. He finally gets his chance to make his bones as a plainclothes homicide dude. This is when he's first getting to know some of our favorite characters like Del Capslock and Sloan. Loved it!
That first case from 1985 resurfaces (so to speak, heh heh) in the present day, and Lucas is all over it.

As always, Sandford writes the absolute best "just among us guys" dialogue EVER. Realistic and sometimes hilarious. Some of the male/female dialogue is pretty stinkin' funny, too.

I have to add that this is the only book in the Prey series that has ever made me cry. I can't say why. It would be an enormous spoiler. If you read it I'm sure you can guess what got me choked up.

Oh, one other thing. I now know more than I ever wanted to about the finer points of peeing off a fishing boat, male version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buried Prey.

05/15/2011 page 133
33.0% "This kinda messed up my rainy Sunday reading plan. I had another book I meant to finish, but this one grabbed me right from the start. Revised reading plan = LUCAS DAVENPORT, ALL DAY!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Jeanette, you are so right on, I too am a big fan of John Sanford, have you read any books from James Patterson, he is also a great read, let me know your thoughts, of some new author suggestions too.
Read on

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I have tried Patterson, but it just wasn't my style. I can be quite a picky reader, and there are only so many series I can keep up with. Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series is phenomenal. Worth a try if you haven't read him already.

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Thanks Jeanette,
I will give the other authors you suggested a whirl, always looking for a new and good read.
Read on.

Diana Powers I couldn't agree more. This was by far the best Prey book yet. The shocking occurance in the middle also had me stunned and crying. Having read every one of the Prey books more than once, you really become involved with the characters. Never saw it coming. Sandford continues to get better with each new book. I also recommend theVirgil Flowers series.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Hi Diana,
I've enjoyed the Virgil Flowers series too. The first couple were just so-so, imo, but they've gotten better.

message 6: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Jessmer I know of what you speak. I am an avid "Prey" fan. I have read them all at least 4 times each. In 21 books, haven't read "Stolen Prey" yet-waiting for the paperback-, this was the first time I was ever upset at a Sandford decision. One of my favorite characters too. Definitely choked me up. Saw it coming about a paragraph before. Felt like I was kicked in the stomach.