Andrea at Reading Lark's Reviews > Wiccan

Wiccan by M. Leighton

Mar 31, 13

bookshelves: 4-stars, kindle, mystery, paranormal, read-in-2011, thriller, witches, young-adult
Read in September, 2011

Review Posted on Reading Lark 9/22/11:

You never know what you are going to get when you try out a self published author. Many of these Indie writers have great ideas, but the writing is often lacking or littered with typos. However, I am all about supporting writers in various forms of publishing and I find witch novels to be intriguing so I figured I would give this one a try. I had never read anything else written by Leighton, but I figured at 99 cents even if I didn't enjoy the read it wasn't that big of a loss.

I have to admit that Wiccan took me completely by surprise. I was expecting a book about witches, but this is so much more than that. In all honesty, the paranormal aspects don't really rise to the surface until the end. The book is more mystery/cop drama than anything else. However, I enjoyed that this book was a hybrid genre. It provided flexibility and kept me guessing. There is also a wicked twist at the end that I never saw coming. I'm in shock still - days after I finished the book. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series, which Leighton mentioned would hopefully be out by winter.

I really enjoyed the characters, plot, and writing style of this one. Wiccan is a little bit CSI mixed with a dose of Charmed. It has elements that kept me wanting more - romance, murder, intrigue. The plot also felt fresh in spite of the witchcraft elements. The directions that Leighton chooses to go make this a world that is truly her own. She keeps a solid pace while keeping her writing simple yet effective. I found that I couldn't put this one down until I knew what was going on with the murders and Mercy's visions.

The major problem I had with this read was the relationship between Mercy and Grayson. It just seemed to happen too quickly and I couldn't believe how accepting her parents were of the relationship considering the age difference. The pairing seemed odd when one character was just beginning college and entering adulthood while the other character was firmly entrenched in a career and wholly adult existence. There are also a few typos, but not many, and they often don't distract from the reading flow.

Overall, I enjoyed this read and am looking forward to trying out other books by M. Leighton. She is certainly an Indie author to keep an eye on; Leighton is by far one of the best self published writers I have read.

One Last Gripe: I am still wondering if Lisa's murder is in anyway connected to the other murders or if these events have no connections. I don't feel like this was fully addressed and its bugging me.

My Favorite Thing About The Book: The twist at the end

First Sentence: "Tonight I'm not Lisa."

Favorite Character: Mercy

Least Favorite Character: Jake

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wiccan.