Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, middle-grade, library, mythology, read-in-2011, reviewed
Read on December 01, 2011

Posted to Almost Grown-up:

First question: How excited was I for this latest book from Rick Riordan? Answer: SO excited. So unbelievably excited. Second question: How poor am I at the moment? Answer: SO poor. So unbelievably poor. So as thrilled as I was when the book was released, I had more than a month long hold on it at my library. Of course, when that was over, I read The Son of Neptune very quickly.

In the previous installment of the Heroes of Olympus series, we learned that Percy Jackson, much like Jason in The Lost Hero, has lost his memory and is at a camp for demigods that he’s never known of: Camp Jupiter. As with most of the books in both The Heroes of Olympus series and the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, we begin at the camp (though the Roman camp operates very differently from Camp Half-blood) before embarking upon a seemingly impossible quest.

Rick Riordan never misses an ingredient in his books.

Adventure? We’ve got that in spades as Percy and his new friends, Frank and Hazel take on monsters, Amazons, gorgons, and giants on their quest.

Serious shtuff? Well let’s see. Both Frank and Hazel have had issues with their families, Percy can’t remember the rest of his life, and there’s that itty-bitty little “Gaia’s trying to take over the world” thing they’ve got to contend with…

Romance? Got that too, just a bit. Annabeth is all that Percy really remembers and… well, I don’t want to spoil you. Let’s just say that’s a pinch more crushiness (I’m making up words now, deal with it) than that.

And humor? Um, hello? Percy’s back and he’s always been sarcastic and a little hilarious. Frank and Hazel aren’t missing a sense of humor either. When the mood gets a little darker it doesn’t last long, one of them will either crack a joke or Riordan will throw in a hilarious villain to break it without interrupting the flow of the story.

Basically, The Son of Neptune did not disappoint.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5. Greek mythology lovers and fans of Harry Potter (especially the earlier books) are sure to love this Middle Grade series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.

12/01/2011 page 60