Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

3152001
May 15, 2011

Read in October, 2011

I so cannot believe I waited this long to read DIVERGENT! Thanks to Faye at http://fayeflamereviews.blogspot.com for telling me that I absolutely HAD to read this book next! I could not put it down and stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to finish it! What an amazing dystopian YA novel with fabulous characters that will stay with me for a long time. Beatrice (Tris) and Four are strong and vulnerable, tender and harsh. There relationship develops beautifully as we discover more and more about their personalities and history. Divergent is set in futuristic Chicago, which was totally cool since I know all the locations Veronica described albeit in her unique, futuristic vision. Lake Michigan has been reduced to swamp! In Divergent, society has been divided into five different factions: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite, each one representing different virtues. The factions should make for a better society, but unfortunately human beings don't always play by the rules. Veronica Roth created a compelling story about the quest for power and the evil lengths people will go to grab ahold of it. I love the courage and boldness Tris and Four possess in order to fight against those who will stop at nothing to seize control. If for some reason you haven't read Divergent yet, it's an absolute must!
Oh, I really hate that I have to wait until May, 2012 for book two - Insurgent. But the great news is that this is one series that I'm thrilled to see continue.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/27/2016 marked as: read