Taylor's Reviews > The Final Empire

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 15 to August 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Lots of folks really like this book, but I'm not one of them. The world was interesting and the magic system Sanderson created for it was different and unique. However, I never really bought into the main character as a person. Actually, I didn't buy into any of the characters in the "crew". They all seemed stereotypical. Also, I felt like long portions of the book were slow and dragging. Maybe this was how I read it (small bits at a time) but I found myself really slogging through the middle section of the book.
On a positive note, I did like how Sanderson continually surprised me, whenever anything actually happened. Even though the characters felt vanilla, how they reacted and how the plot unfolded was almost always surprising.
Maybe 3 stars is a little harsh and I was expecting too much. I wish I could go 3.5 stars, but I can't so 3 it is.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.

05/22/2011 page 177
05/29/2011 page 311
48.0% "So far, better than I thought it would be, but I think I see where its going. Maybe not. I hope not."
07/03/2011 page 372
55.0% "Slogging through. Waiting for something interesting to happen. The set-up is done, now waiting for the action. Having a hard time remaining engaged."
07/12/2011 page 372
55.0% "I *will* finish this. Just been distracted the past couple of weeks. And going back to a book that seems interminably in set up mode just is not that appealing to me at this point."
show 1 hidden update…