Jen (A Book and a Latte)'s Reviews > The Girl in the Steel Corset

Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: own-arc
Read from May 30 to June 07, 2011

Review from my blog: A Book and a Latte

This was my first steampunk novel, and I didn't really know what to expect going in... but I kept hearing great things about this debut. Really, this book is a mash-up of steampunk, paranormal, mystery, and romance. The mix of the Victorian era with modern (in their own fun steampunk way) technologies was both fascinating and charming -- great world building by Cross!

What I liked most about this book was the cast of characters. Finley... what can I say. She kicks some serious arse! She's a housemaid that struggles with her personality being split like Jekyll/Hyde. Her dark side is inhumanly strong, capable of fighting back and doing serious damage. Griffin is gifted in his own way, sweet, and a Duke... The vast difference in social status keeps Finley and Griffin apart, a relationship would be "inappropriate" and looked down upon. The cast is rounded out by Sam, Emily, and Jasper. I have to say, I think my favorite character is Emily! She is insanely smart (think mad nice scientist/genius), mechanically inclined, and events all kinds of crazy cool gadgets. I really loved how the females were strong, smart, and capable!

Cross spends a lot of time describing the out-fits of the characters. It was fun learning about steampunk/Victorian fashions but by the time I was half way through the book I felt like the fashion descriptions stalled the story and I wanted to get to the action. Though I enjoyed escaping to the world Cross created... the pacing was a little slow, and the plot was a bit predictable and worked out a little too easily. I knew who the villain was as soon he was introduced to the reader. For these reasons, I found it easy to put this book down.

All in all, I found this to be an entertaining read. This was a great introduction to the steampunk world!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Steel Corset.