Pauline Ross's Reviews > Damian's Oracle

Damian's Oracle by Lizzy Ford

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: price-free, genre-fantasy, abandoned, 1-star, self-pub, year-2011
Read in July, 2011

This was free for the Kindle (it's still very cheap), and I suppose proves the old adage that you get what you pay for. The plot: there's a White god and a Black god and a Grey god and Guardians and Watchers and Naturals. Oh, and an Oracle. Some time in the past, there was a Schism... no, actually, that's enough plot.

It's not that this is a bad book, exactly, because somewhere in there is a half-decent story screaming to get out, and some of the characters have potential too, but it's all buried under a morass of chiselled jaws and perfect abs and tight t-shirts and heaving bosoms - you get the picture. And then I got to this line: "This is Dustin, commander of the western hemisphere..." and that was it. I just can't read when I'm laughing that hard. So this book joins a very select shelf of books I couldn't finish, putting Lizzy Ford on a par with China Mieville. Blimey.

Now I daresay my tastes are defective, because there seem to be vast numbers of people giving this 5 stars, so if you like this sort of thing, this is probably a good example of it. Whatever it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damian's Oracle.