Urs's Reviews > The Sari Shop Widow

The Sari Shop Widow by Shobhan Bantwal

May 23, 11

Recommended for: chick lit fans, romance fans
Read from May 15 to 23, 2011, read count: 1

My sister downloaded this book as a free read from the kindle store before I had my own device. It was lendable, so I borrowed it from her to use as my first read for the 2011 Colorful Chick Lit Challenge.

After reading the reviews for the book, I was not sure whether or not I would enjoy the book. After reading, though, this book turned out to be just what I expected, which was good.

The story is about Anjali, a thirty-seven year old, Indian, widow who lives with her parents and brother in the U.S. She also partners a boutique with her parents. The boutique is struggling financially, so Anjali's difficult uncle comes in from India to assist the family with the business. He also brings along a business associate who's presence eventually forces Anjali to think about her goals and expectations regarding the business and her personal life.

There were a couple of issues that I had with the book. One thing that annoyed me was the incessant questions throughout the book, especially at the end of chapters. I think this method was used as an attempt to keep things interesting and to keep things moving, but it was really overused.

The other issue that I had was how Anjali, who seems very smart for most of the book, seemed to become a little more petty and simple minded by the end of the book. This took away just a little bit of the enjoyment of the character for me.

This is chicklit with a little Indian flare. If you go into it with that expectation, then this is actually a pretty enjoyable read for the most part.

The inclusion of the business and family issues with the basic chick lit story gave the story much more substance than a lot of other chick lit that I have read. In the end, I was glad that I gave this book a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sari Shop Widow.

05/18/2011 page 129