Michelle Cristiani's Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

May 15, 11

bookshelves: straight-up-novels

The premise of this book has left me thinking a long time: what if you could taste, in everything you ate, the emotions of the person who prepared it? You would probably be like Rose and eat a lot of food prepared in factories that rarely touch human hands. What more do we put into our food than the ingredients themselves?

On one hand Rose is very brave, and keeps herself functioning in the world despite her blessing/curse. On the other hand, she seems meek to me, and though she is the protagonist, the story is more about her brother than her. His story knocked me for a loop. It's so much more "sci fi" than I expected from the book, and I'm left with more questions than answers. Why didn't she really _talk_ more to him, or anyone? Why didn't the people around her ever learn to communicate? There is so much sadness in this book, and yet Rose's story is strong and trimpuhant. I'm proud of her. She made me think about so much I never could have before imagined. I think that's the sign of a good novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

message 1: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela This got a bunch of crummy reviews, Mish... You seemed to like it. Would you recommend it or was it more of a personal thing that spoke to you for a particular reason? Worth a read for me?

Michelle Cristiani I found it thought-provoking. But you can't expect it to be a straight-up novel. Things happen in here that couldn't happen in real life, and it's unexpected and kind-of weird. But it wasn't weird for its own sake, so that makes all the difference to me.