Jessi's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: historical, movie-and-tv
Read from August 03 to 10, 2011

Every once in a while a book comes a long and I just know it's a matter of time before the derivatives start appearing on the shelves. I hope it doesn't happen here (even if it's flattering) this book stands on it's own, and does it very well.

I was hooked from page one Kathryn, writes the voices of the characters so beautifully, you feel you know each of their personalities just by the words. I have read other books set in the south, and have had a very hard time reading the accents. The stories told are equal parts heart wrenching, heart warming and at times ridiculous and the whole time I wanted to be right there with Skeeter and Aieblean. Howbeit most of the time I just wanted to be there to rip Hilly Holebrook a new one.

It's hard to believe that this is a part of our country's recent history. But at the same time, "times they are a-changing." I felt the only thing missing from the book was an epilogue. I wanted to see where everyone ended up 10 years down the road, after MLK, the war, civil rights, etc... And yeah I really wanted to see Hilly get what she deserved.

A necessary and fantastic read. This novel was made for the screen too, I hope the movie does it justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

dateDown_arrow    newest »