Bjoern's Reviews > Sourcery

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

May 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fantasy, discworld
Read in May, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Not as bad as i might have feared given my actual dislike for Rincewind as a protagonist. But then there also was virtually none of the Staff of the UU as i got to know and like over the later Ankh Morporkian adventures (mostly watch) so there is an important factor missing too.

Other than that it's a story that bridges the early novels and starts leading into the later, more complex Pratchett stories with all that includes like the mix between fun/humor and earnest satire of fantasy and the shortcomings of our modern world at general. It might not be perfectly balanced. Sometimes too comedic, sometimes too earnest in its tune, but it's still one of the first books of the series and every author has to grow into his typical style...

Finally... i liked Coin. I not really disliked Conina and Nijel and for the rest of the cast there's at least no truly disgusting character in between, even the Vizier basically just fit's his post in the discworld hierarchy.

So it's not quite as perfect as later works, but very entertaining with an interesting premise and not too bad a solution so that it does work really good and is likeable enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sourcery.