linnea's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: butchering, court-intrigues, distant-land-fantasy, dragons, feral-children, flying, girlswhodothings, girlswithswords
Read from May 15 to June 04, 2011

This book was exhausting, not necessarily because it was long but because everyone I loved was in constant danger and so many people were dying. I started having dreams that people were threatening to kill my family.

I think Tyrion was my favorite part of this book. I liked him well enough in the first book, but he felt kind of spoiled and selfish next to the Starks. Good and bad were more delineated in the first book. Here in the second book everyone becomes more human, or rather, you realize that everyone is human (except Joffrey, who is a demon child). Everyone wants what they want, which might not necessarily be what’s right. In the first book Eddard Stark acted as a kind of moral compass, with him gone things get out of control.

Sansa is the character I’m most intrigued by. At the beginning of the first book all of the Stark children have their pet direwolves, but Sansa’s wolf is killed. It almost feels unnatural that Sansa goes on living without her wolf. It’s like in the His Dark Materials books when a person has no daemon. I can’t help wondering what that’s done to Sansa. She seems so spineless. I keep expecting her to do something brave—run away or talk back—I still have hope for her, but there seems to be something wrong with her. Also with Arya. It’s like Sansa is unnaturally submissive, but very compassionate, and Arya is unnaturally callous, but brave. I’m really interested in where this is going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.