Daisy's Reviews > Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories

Across the Wall by Garth Nix

May 15, 11

Read on May 15, 2011

For some time, I had been reluctant to read this book because I had assumed it would be a collection of short stories about Ancelstierre and the Old Kingdom in the aftermath of the last book in the Old Kingdom series, The Ahborsen. A sequel of sort. While I had certainly loved the Old Kingdom series and would be the first in line to read another book about the abhorsens of the past or distant future, I had felt that the conflict with The Destroyer had been too epic to follow up with any sort of a sequel.

However, it turned out only one story- the first one- had anything to the Liriel and Co. It was written from the perspective of a Nicholas Sayre on the Ancelstierre, both a character and setting I had not been too partial towards in the series), but I found I enjoyed it. It brought back a portion of the awe and horror that I had forgotten I had felt towards the Old King and Free Magic and gives you another look at the country which borders a magic-infused realm but have neither the weapons or psyche to do anything but guard against it.

But what I most enjoyed in the book was the truly hodgepodge nature of the blend of the stories- they were written from a variety of perspectives, settings, and styles. There were tales derived from Arthurian myths, fairy tales, and old westerns, with even a fun choose-your-own adventure which I did together with some friends. But all were infused with that vein of tragically beautiful and slightly horrific fantasy that I come to associate with dear Mr. Nix.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Wall.