Nick's Reviews > Prince of Thorns

Prince of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Jul 14, 2014

Read from May 15, 2011 to July 14, 2014

I originally came across this book when I received a free Arc edition as part of a UK promotion when pre-ordering A Dance with Dragons back in 2011. Having no expectations prior to picking up a new book was a refreshing change for me and I was immediately struck by the relentless pace that dominates the 400 page novel. Jorg's story resonated with me, despite his blatant sociopathic view of the world, and I consumed the book within just a couple of days (something I rarely manage to do).

Cut to 2014 and I have just finished re-reading it in an attempt to refresh my memory before finally picking up the third book in the trilogy, 'Emperor of Thorns'. Having read 'King of Thorns' in the time since 2011, my new impressions of Mark's first foray into Jorg's uncompromising world was, I'll admit, slightly altered. The pace is still there but it lacks the depth that I loved in the sequel. Don't get me wrong, this is still a good book and to say that the sequel is an improvement does not take away from that fact.

Ultimately, if you haven't given Jorg a try yet then I strongly suggest you put down whatever you're currently reading and go get yourself a copy of 'Prince of Thorns'.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Thorns.

05/15/2011 page 126
07/06/2014 marked as: currently-reading
07/06/2014 "Rereading this one, along with King of Thorns, before picking up Emperor of Thorns at long last."
07/14/2014 marked as: read