Nikki's Reviews > Alice Bliss

Alice Bliss by Laura Harrington

Feb 03, 15

bookshelves: for-review
Read from May 14 to 23, 2011

A truly moving story of Alice Bliss – a teenager with all the vulnerabilities that age brings – and her family as they try to function whilst Alice’s Dad is away fighting in Iraq.

All the characters in the story are believable and their individual qualities and coping mechanisms range from quirky to heartbreaking – taking the reader on an emotional ride.

If it weren’t for the reference to Iraq, I would not have easily placed the time setting of the story as Alice seemed to be protected until her Dad left – cocooned by living in a small town with her family to guide her.

Alice’s interaction with the rest of her family during her Dad’s absence was fascinating – I especially enjoyed her bond with Henry. I read the evolving mother/daughter relationship with interest – many arguments and her Mum’s lack of ability to cope made Alice grow up too fast, as I’m sure all children of fathers who go to war have to do. Her new maturity however allowed her to see beyond the squabbling to share some touching moments where Alice and her Mum understood the emotions they were each going through.

I found myself caught up in Alice's feelings and would definitely recommend this poignant story to anyone wanting their heart strings tugged.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice Bliss.

05/17/2011 page 90