Regina's Reviews > Imani All Mine

Imani All Mine by Connie Rose Porter

3922010
May 15, 2011

bookshelves: african-american-interest, favorites, teen-parents, surviving-high-school, topics-to-discuss, sexual-assault, urban-fiction-street-lit
Read from December 21, 2011 to January 10, 2012

I sit here stunned after completing this book.
Such a poetic and yet simplistic force that was far more than what the book description says.
While the title reads true, and the bulk of this story is dramatically centered around Imani, the infant of a child-mom, this story reached deep into the mind and heart of Tasha Dawson, her mother. Tasha is a fourteen year old who lives in what I consider any urban location, where drugs, violence, and harsh reality interfere with the simple acts of growing up. An unwanted encounter finds her pregnant and at odds with her mother, Earlene. The usual questions of "what will you do with your life", and "how will you go to college" are quieted only a bit when as time goes on Tasha becomes the very best mother she can. This story deals with the first year of Imani's life and how Tasha fights to maintain grades, peace of mind, and find spiritual understanding while witnessing the realities around her, stumbling through them and growing up along with her baby.

I was absolutely blown away by not only the beauty of this book, but by the honesty of it. I could see these scenes, and hear these thoughts as though I was there myself. The ease with which Ms. Porter's words weave the reader in and out of rather complex conversations and thoughts was like having a gentle hand along your back. Tasha was a gentle and innocent character that I couldn't help but love from the very first page. She knows what she believes are her setbacks, but the world around her, including the reader can see so much more.

I haven't shed tears while reading a book for some time...but this book left both my cheeks moist. Absolutely riveting and beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imani All Mine.

01/07/2012 page 30
01/10/2012 page 178
86.0% "This book just gut-punched me."
02/29/2016 marked as: read