Alyssa's Reviews > Need

Need by Carrie Jones

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from June 11 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

I will admit, I was a litle cynical when I started reading this book. After I was disappointed with Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, I've been a little hesitant to pick up a book about faeries/pixies.

Need is about a girl called Zara who is sent to Maine to stay with her grandmother after her stepfather dies. While she's there, she realises that a guy is stalking her and leaving a trail of gold dust. She finds out that there is nothing normal about the small Maine town she lives in and Zara has something to do with it.

I liked the idea of the premise and that was the main reason I picked this book up. But while reading the book, I found that the plot was actually quite boring. There was hardly any action in this book and some parts of the book were really slow. There was only ONE PART OF THE WHOLE BOOK that had action and that was towards the end of the book. So the plot was a big disappointment to me.

My second big problem was Zara, the protagonist. Throughout the whole book (especially at the beginning,) she COMPLAINED SO MUCH! She was acting like Bella Swan for almost HALF of the BOOK!!! On every page during the beginning of the book, Zara always complained. Maine is too cold. I hate my mum for sending me here. I miss Charlseton. Even when she was making friends, she would still complain about living in Charlseton.

The last problem that I had with this book was the fact that Carrie Jones didn't confirm that a pixie was stalking Zara until the end of the book. Even though all the evidence points to pixies, there should be some proof during the beginning or middle of the book that Zara has a pixie-stalker. For most of this book, you didn't know FOR SURE that pixies were stalking Zara, it was all speculation!

I'd give Need a 2/5. I probably won't continue with this series. It was a huge disappointment for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Need.

06/11/2011 page 108