Katrina's Reviews > Addicted

Addicted by Charlotte Featherstone

Aug 25, 12

Read in August, 2012

The prologue for Addicted will alone have you drawn into the pages. The way in which Charlotte has put forth Addiction is like poetry. Vivid and well portrayed. Filled with depth, and intense feelings that will have you looking from the side lines, but you will feel you as if you are within the story itself. Erotic and enticing - a Historical Romance like no other. After reading the Prologue it may take you a few chapters to get into the storyline, this is a build up of whats more to come. ;)

Part of the Prologue…

** My relationship with my mistress is uncomplicated. I know what she
Desires of me; at the same time, she understands and fulfils my
Needs. As any mistress she is, at times, demanding to the point of
Suffocation, always wanting more—needing more. But when I come
to her, she loves me like nothing—or no one—ever has.
All she wants is my return to her, night after night, hour after hour.
And I do return with eager anticipation. She always welcomes my
homecoming with outstretched arms and together, we make the
sweetest, most decadent love, a love where two become one. Where I
become so coiled in her powers that I never want to leave."

(This is Addiction................... The Red Smoke - Opium.....) .

Addicted is very different from all the historical Romances I have read, if anything a little darker in the storyline surrounding the characters.

Yet compelling… and certainly devastating.

We also have some Spine tingling moments, where your toes will be curling... and other moments where you will be wanting to throw something ... mabye the book if you werent so compelled to read on lol.

The storyline is well scripted and fluent flowing, dialogue well-paced and engages the reader beautifully - But with a tragic plot entwined throughout. We have a tragic, emotionally-charged story of love, Betrayal, lies and also balanced out with forgiveness to give the reader a heavy heart throughout but an enlightened one at the ending.

Moments where I'm sure you will wipe away that stray tear, and other moments where you are unsure where your loyalty as a reader lies within the characters. It's gripping - captivating and mesmerizing. I read this in one sitting. I was truly addicted. ;) Heartbroken, annoyed, cranky and yet compelled to read on to find out if True love can find forgiveness.

Addicted in a love story of Anais and Lindsey whose love for one another is tested by deception of loved ones, betrayal, and secrets withheld. Anais and Lindsay ‘s love , desires, pain, passion and friendship are woven with such vivid detail, as the reader I could feel and see every emotion and detail put forth in this story. I was heartbroken at Anais’s betrayal, Lindsey’s love for the red smoke, and the downward spiral of a love that they both could not live without. It seems to be an ends to a means on many occasions. With twists and turns in the plot, the story was unpredictable by any means.

A love story that has blossomed since childhood between Anais and Lindsay - passion that is unleashed, mistakes that are made, it is certainly a test of Love within this story.

An unpredictable ending by any means, as a reader, I was concerned that Lindsay’s obsession would end up being his life. His Obsession to be with his love – even within the red smoke was a scary thought, and at every chapter my breathe was baited waiting for the worst to become. Lindsay searched for a way to be with his lady love even within her absence and the red smoke gave him every desire he had ever yearned for . ** Anais **

His addictions = One ruled his mind and strength while the other his heart, soul and body. A spider caught within its web...
We see Lindsay’s fight for the love of both his addictions throughout this read. Will Anais’s love alone get him through the darkest time of his life?

Anais was a strong woman, to go what she went through and to make the decisions she did, it seems in the end, and she really had no choice. As much as I disliked the choices she made, I can see why – to be an outcast in those days would bring shame to everyone she loved.
The passion and love that Anais and Lindsay have throughout the story was well written. Giving the reader great insight into the love and igniting passion they both felt and shared. We also see the pain they both shared to not have each other in their lives. But- I as a reader didn’t hold much hope for them both in the end.

But it does show that True love can find a way.

Complex, devastating and dark, Yet A beautifully woven love story by all means.

Addiction will have you thinking about it after the last page has been turned. Characters that will stay with you, and a storyline, that will have you addicted till that last word has been read.

An ending that will leave you sighing in content.

This book was supplied to me via the publisher for my honest thoughts and opininos. Which are my own. Thank you to Harlequin .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Addicted.