Chrystal's Reviews > The Witch of Babylon

4193095
Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge
Read from May 14 to June 08, 2011

I'd almost describe this book as cross between The Da Vinci Code, Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible. I think this is one of the best reads this summer: alchemy, history, life and death situations and artifacts, what more could you ask for in a summer adventure?

John Madison is an easily likable character with his laidback way of life. He gets caught up in a game of wit, secrets, and mythology - which causes him to become obsessed with solving the puzzle a friend left behind. He needs to solve it so can save those close to him and bring back a priceless relic that was looted during a raid in Iraq. Madison is clever and very knowledgable with art and antiquities - and as an art lover, I found it rather interesting to read the histories behind many of the pieces mentioned in the book including Durer and Michelangelo.

Madison's adventures around New York and across a few contients bring so many facets of mythology and history that I found completely fascinating. The mythology of Mesopotamia and the idea of alchemy are the core of this storyline and we are brought right into many of the long told stories of Assyrian kings.

I found myself pulled along for the ride while Madison had to decide who he could trust, decipher clues and outsmart unknown enemies. It's a thrilling ride from start to finish, and I did not see that twist coming at all. It totally took me by surprise.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series to see what new adventures Madison can get himself into, either by chance or by choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch of Babylon.

05/14/2011 page 34
11.0% "for penguin canada blog tour"
show 4 hidden updates…