Jennie's Reviews > Clara and Mr. Tiffany

Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, library-book, read-in-2011, read-in-june
Read from June 06 to 07, 2011

I saw this historical novel on my libraries website and immediately put a hold on it. I love the Tiffany lamps and someday hope to have one (more likely a knock off, if I am honest) in a home library someday in my future. Add to that my current obsession with historical fiction novels and I just had to read this one.

I was not let down by this novel. It was full of reach descriptions of New York and the surrounding areas complete with life in an adult boarding house. Women’s rights in the workplace was a foremost part of the plot, which I loved and brought to mind all the women that have come before me. There was a mysterious disappearance, money woes, love found, love lost and death. This book has it all – including a powerful cast of characters. Everyone of them seemed real and tangible in my mind. I envisioned the dinners at the boarding house and the beauty of creating works of art from glass.

The artistic skills and glass creation methods were beautifully explained, simple enough to understand but deep enough to inspire deep colors and rich designs. This is a colorful book in plot, descriptions and characters. I recommend it to any fans of historical fiction novels or anyone with a creative side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clara and Mr. Tiffany.

06/06/2011 page 103