★ Jess 's Reviews > In The Winter Dark

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, 4-stars-loved-it, magnificent-writing, read-in-2012
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Dear Aspiring Indie Film-Maker

You've done a couple of short-films, full of quirky characters and mildly-amusing scripts. You want to kick-start your career and be noticed. Well, I have a suggestion. In the Winter Dark. Tim Winton is possibly the most loved Australian author, yet this is the book that No One Knows Exists. Adapt it.
Take a break from your light hearted/short films/dark comedies, and put this 130 page novel to the big screen.
There are only four characters to worry about. Maurice & Ida Stubbs, an elderly, retired couple. Murray Jaccob, a city slicker looking for a change of lifestyle, and Ronnie, a late-teenage girl, pregnant and alone.
These four characters live in The Sink, a dark, beautifully described valley covered by forest and marsh. The characters are drawn together when livestock is mutilated, and each sense their lives could be in danger from something lurking in the dark.
I imagine you, Aspiring Indie Film-Maker, could take the line that Debra Granik did with 'Winter's Bone'-a beautifully cinematographed, dark suspense tale with a palpable sense of danger. I'm sure you could create a haunting film out of Winton's work.
Like Breath (which may also be a good possible adaption) the strength of the story lies in the characters. Each is surprisingly well fleshed out for such a short novel, full of personality and deep secrets. As well as you can direct this adaption, regardless of all the suspense, drama and implied gore, if you do not cast a brilliant actor in each role, the movie will loose its power.
In summary, Aspiring Indie Film-Maker, I would reccomened going all out for the film-rights to this book. Build a powerful suspense tale, in such a haunting setting, and you have yourself a winner.

If you do not take the rights, Aspiring Indie Film-Maker, I will do so myself when I am in your position.

Signed, Jess
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In The Winter Dark.

01/01/2012 page 70