Raya Whitehouse's Reviews > No Place Like Holmes

May 18, 11

bookshelves: booksneeze
Read from May 14 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert **
I have to say that the first couple paragraphs in the prologue didn't draw me in like a lot of other books do, made me wonder for a bit if i was going to be bored reading this book in entirety, but the next few drew me in pretty well.

Griffin is a genius but is humble, not something you usually hear about in the same sentence. He has a photographic memory. In the beginning of book he is alone in a tiny train compartment as he is headed to London, to stay with his uncle for the summer. He is doing so because he wasn't invited to go to camp with his schoolmates. He doesn’t know who Sherlock Holmes is, so the ticket guy on train gives him a paper to read about Sherlock (whom he now thinks may be his uncle as he lives in the same place he is going to).

He finds out who his uncle is and he isn't Sherlock and is disappointed. His mother had sent him and the uncle didn't even know (he hadn't opened the first letter as he thought it was a bill collector). I personally would be very mad at that mother, since she didn't receive a reply from the uncle.

He finds a lady while in a cab on the way to church who wants to see Sherlock, so he asks the cabbie to take them back. Sherlock wasn't home so he got his uncle. The woman let his uncle Rupert take the case on the condition that Griffin was involved with the investigation.

I enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed reading Nancy Drew books when i was younger.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Place Like Holmes.