Mary Anne's Reviews > Dead Men's Boots

Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: kindled, fiction, mike-carey
Recommended to Mary Anne by: Brandon
Read from June 25 to July 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I would possibly rate the book a little lower than four stars, but what the heck. I still enjoyed it. I do agree with those who have said that this is their least favorite Castor book of the first three books. I suppose that tends to happen.

There are two reasons I didn't like this book quite as much. First, Castor would make reference to characters we'd encountered before but wouldn't give a complete explanation. Maybe this was only once: he mentioned Cheryl, from the first book, and I wasn't sure who he was talking about. Of course there's no information on Wiki, and I was thisclose to flipping through the first book (not quite so easy on a Kindle) before I remembered who she was. And yes, no big deal, particularly in terms of plot, but a little more information would be nice. There was an additional something about some guy's daughter, but no follow-through there. I'm pretty sure I remember that one, but still, a little extra information wouldn't hurt. No doubt she'll come into play later.

The second reason I didn't like this book so much is the three storylines running through the book. Even if the Rafi one wasn't as significant in terms of action, I still felt a bit lost.

Why do I start with the things I didn't like? Who knows. Here's what I loved: I really like Felix Castor as protagonist and narrator. I thought the plot was unique and full of twists. I liked how this story was different, and I like that part of the mystery was figuring out just how stuff was happening. The explanation was interesting and thought-provoking and seemed to cover all the bases, but it also brought about a strange concept for me: yes, ghosts possessing bodies isn't too out there (by out standards; it's fairly regular in other spooky stories), I really like the idea of the ghost not changing too much, despite reincarnations, and the ability to change a possessed body so much that the fingerprints change. At first I found that really odd and... well, unrealistic. But the explanation of a ghostly passenger having such a huge, even physical, effect is quite spooky and cool. I like the concept.

But I'm not liking Pen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Men's Boots.

Quotes Mary Anne Liked

Mike Carey
“I'll be fine ' Pen told me a little curtly. 'Where are you going anyway '
'The United States. Alabama.'
'Looking for a change of scene '
'Looking for a dead woman.'
'Get Jenna-Jane Mulbridge to come down here and I'll make you one.”
Mike Carey, Dead Men's Boots
tags: humor

06/26/2011
06/27/2011
17.0% "Pen, I know you're upset and crap, but you better shape up. I want to like you again."
07/01/2011
57.0% "NICE ONE, PEN."
07/02/2011 page 69
16.0% "Fix, I will be your friend."
07/02/2011
69.0% "Ugh dumb percentage page number thingie."
07/03/2011
74.0% "Still quite good, but I feel a bit lost."
07/04/2011
80.0% "Still a little confused. It's early still, I know, but there's so many storylines that I find it a little confusing. I suppose that's what happens when the main character/narrator doesn't sleep."
show 4 hidden updates…