Maggi Andersen's Reviews > The Lady Julia Grey Bundle

The Lady Julia Grey Bundle by Deanna Raybourn

May 29, 11

Read from May 14 to 29, 2011

Deanna Raybourn had me with the first line of the first book in the series. If you've read it you'll know what I mean. I could hardly put my kindle down until I'd finished the third, bowled over by the level of research and descriptions of life in late Victorian England. The third book, Silent In The Grave is extraordinary. Raybourn's hero, Nicholas Brisbane is a smoldering, flawed Heathcliffe, although blessed with finer qualities, in a Wuthering Heights, Yorkshire setting. Add a touch of murder and a dash of Egyptology to the mix! But be warned these books are not bodice rippers, Raybourn leaves much to our imaginations. Traveling with these two characters who so clearly yearn for each other, I had no trouble doing that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Julia Grey Bundle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Good Review. I'm convinced to try the 1st book.

Maggi Andersen Thanks John, wise to begin with the first. Hope you enjoy.

message 3: by John (new)

John How long has it been since you first read The Bridges of Madison County? I read it again last night and was once again amazed that lightning could strike Robert Waller that one time and never since.

Maggi Andersen Read it years ago, couldn't work out what the fuss was about.

message 5: by John (new)

John I think for me it was the writing. The situation sucked me in from the first page. And the idea that a brief affair could vibrate for two lifetimes and that the woman could still love her husband and family...not the usual fare. That's one reason why I'm not a rich and famous genre writer. Of course, I'm sure there are other reasons.

Maggi Andersen I guess a million readers can't be wrong, John.

message 7: by John (new)

John One thing bothers me: Waller has written a few other books, and it seems (to me) the magic isn't there. There's a lesson in there for writers, if I can just figure it out.

Maggi Andersen Maybe this book struck a cord with him more than the others. All sorts of reasons why one book turns out better than another. What the author is feeling at the time especially.

message 9: by John (new)

John In Tinseltown they call such a person 'a one trick pony.'