Katie's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Nov 21, 14

bookshelves: read-in-2011, reread-in-2013, reread-in-2014
Read from August 31 to September 07, 2011

It took me a while to get through the first half of this book. I had a hard time initially realizing several things: The time period, the lore, and how the heck to pronounce capaill uisce (which, for the record, is "capple ish-kuh," to the best of my knowledge). I also admit that the first half was a bit slow for me. But it's Maggie Stiefvater and horses. That is definitely a good combination in my opinion, so I trudged along.

Approximately halfway through the book, I went from curious reader to ZOMG-can't-put-down-this-book reader. The second half of this story is amazing, and the final twenty or so pages? Incredible. It's unlike anything I've read, YA or otherwise, and I loved it. The ending so makes up for the slow start that I can't help but to give it five stars. Oh, I want to give it four, just because of that slowness at first. But I can't bring myself to do it.

Oh, and I want to just snuggle Dove into a little ball of horsey fuzz. But that's neither here nor there.

EDIT: Two years after initially reading this book, I decided to check it out on audiobook. I loved it even more this time than I did the first time. The first part of the book was so-so for me last time around... this time I was sucked back in from the first chapter. I love, love, love this book. I love, love, love Maggie Stiefvater for writing it.

EDIT AGAIN: I listened to the audiobook again and fell in love with it even more. Definitely one of my top ten favorite books ever. Did I mention ever ever? READ THIS BOOK.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg the narrator said capaill uisce like "capall ishka". But at the end, she did say that there were many ways of saying it. I really enjoyed the second half of this book too!