Leslie's Reviews > The Almost Moon

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Mar 08, 08

Read in February, 2008

This book was extremely disturbing. The main character is introduced as seemly a normal woman whose elderly mother is entering her final years and at the stage of facing a nursing home or care facility. Even after she kills her mother, she tells the story as if this is just sort of a bummer day, almost, "Oh my gosh, I killed my mother. I don't want to be late for work." Ironically, I was even lulled into moments where I was not completely horrified at what just happened--and continues to happen through the next 24 hours.

Through the book, we learn about her mother's mental illness, as well as her father's, and we see the domino effect of mental illness.

A lot of people rated this book very low, and I have to admit I had difficulty getting through it. I am a young adult librarian, and I still struggle on whether I want to add it to the collection because it is told in such a real way.

In fact, I have seen women like the main character in the news...i.e. minister's wife kills husband...and I wondered what happened to her to make her do it. This is her story. The slow erosion of rationale thinking due to mental illness and emotional strain. I think it is a very unique book in its perspective and helpful in analyzing the thought processes of the mentally ill, which is why I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Almost Moon.